Sunday, January 28, 2007

Pablo Neruda: Veinte poemas de amor y una cancion desesperada

I definitely enjoyed reading “Veinte poemas de amor y una cancion desesperada” by Neruda as I found it romantic and enjoyed the storyline of the poems. I liked how the poems progressed and really showed the change of the author’s feelings towards his love. The first demonstrates his strong physical attraction towards this women; Neruda states, “cuerpo de mujer, blancas colinas, muslos blancos” (31). The first few poems seem to show his passion towards her mystery, allure and beauty. The feeling of the author seems to slowly shift from passion and intrigue to love and sadness. At the very end, I found his style of writing to be very effective, using repetion and word choice, to make the reader (at least for me) feel sorry for him and better understand his sorrow.

This last poem (page 109) was my favorite because of the repetition (“puedo escribir los versos mas tristes esta noche…”) and his dramatic change in mood to sadness, frustration and loss. “Ya no la quiero, es cierto, pero tal vez la quiero…aunque este sea el ultimo dolor que ella me causa, y estos sean los últimos versos que yo le escribo” (110-110). I also noted that this was quite a dramatic switch from his mood in poem 18 when he says “y como yo te amo, los pinos en el viento”.

I also liked reading the poems because they showed how infatuated and intrigued he was with this woman by his words, which in turn showed how well he can express his feelings and make the reader sympathize with him.

After reading the poems, I feel that perhaps he was infatuated with the woman and adored the excitement and secrecy of their relationship opposed to the actual woman . Page 67 states, “nadie nos vio esta tarde con las manos unidas” and page 32 , “me sed, mi ansia sin limite.”

3 comments:

Serena said...

I think you're right that the speaker in the poems isn't so concerned with the "actual woman" that he's addressing/describing. At times he has a purely aesthetic appreciation for her, and other times he indulges in the thrill of secrecy and the suffering of separation. He isn't so much concerned with who she is as with
his own emotions and perceptions of her.

Serena

Jennifer said...

I found your comment of Neruda's infatuation of the woman and his interest in the secrecy of their relationship to be very interesting. I think you are right that he was only interested in the perception of the woman rather than her true self.

Marina said...

I definitely agree that as the poems became more desperate as the book went on that I began to feel more and more sorry for Neruda. His wallowing, although at times extremely over the top, was about a feeling that many people can identify with, in a variety of situations.